Ensel Sharon wrote:
For a variety of reasons (long, hard to explain) I need a static python
binary - with no external libraries.

I know how to do this from source.  However, I would like to install from
the ports tree - what line can I run inside of /usr/ports/lang/python to
get a totally static, standalone python binary ?

Thanks.

So, how do you do it from source? Perhaps you can apply changes to lang/python/Makefile to do the same steps (and then submit a PR with the changes so others can benefit). Checkout http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/

Alternately, doing a make install really does the following: make fetch, make extract, make patch, make configure, make build, then make install. You could manually run each make step and apply any needed changes in between steps, but that would make upgrading hard.

HTH,
Micah