Hm, sounds like installing ion3 would be an easier task.
ion3 is the WM of my choice, and it does exactly (or nearly) what you
describe, and some more. You can additionally set up different layouts

i am always open for making my workplace more productive and easier to use. so i will have a try of E17 and ion3, while second looks like more designed to my needs.

i tried ratpoison but i was unable to do single-key switching to other desktops and manage well subwindows in some apps like gimp, which always needs multiple windows on one desktop.

PS. Because i don't get definition of desktop i used there and in other posts:

desktop is one complete full screen workspace.

be it text or graphics doesn't matter.

PS2. still waiting for precise desktop definition, because i think that this term is regularly misused.