On 3/14/07, Roger Scow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I am totally new to FreeBSD, and have installed it and Gnome2/X11.
Somewhere in the process I have either corrupted or lost my password
and user name access.  When I try to log into Gnome, either as root
or as username, it is a no go.

I know that I set up myself as a user, and set a root password when I
was installing.

What do I do now?  Can I restart from the install CD and go back into
Sysinstall?

I'm running FreeBSD 6.2 on a Macbook Pro, via Parallels Desktop.

Thanks very much and sorry for such a stupid predicament.

Roger
[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

try these instructions

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/admin.html#FORGOT-ROOT-PW

also see this for changing your other passwords

http://freebsd.active-venture.com/handbook/users-modifying.html

especially section 8.6.4 example 8-7