On Oct 19, 2007, at 9:14 AM, Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
Is there any way to set the default value of a enviromental variable
globally. Specifically I want JAVA_VERSION to default to "1.6" unless the user sets it other wise. By global I mean no matter how something
is invoked (command line, script, GUI, IPC trigger, etc.) if it checks
the value of the var it gets the same value (and I want to do this
system wide)

Setting variables in /etc/profile and /etc/csh.cshrc (respectively) will do it for the common shells; or perhaps you might look at /etc/ login.conf...

--
-Chuck