On Thu, 27 Dec 2007, Olivier Nicole wrote:

Hello,

This is just to confirm that Dell Power Edge 2950, with Quad Core Xeon
E5420 is OK with FreeBSD 6.2/6.3.

Make sure that you get a Revision 2 (R2). We had some serious stability issues with two R1s. Yay for beta testing $6k servers.

You'll want to read the entire thread about mfi(4) and bce(4) instability on RELENG_6. Someone just reported a geometry size reporting error with the new PERC/6 that Dell is pushing, so stick with PERC/5.

My personal recommendation is to use em(4) and disable onboard Broadcom and forget that Dell ever started shipping Broadcom.

~BAS