FreeBSD supports 3 firewalls: IPF, IPFW, and PF. Some time ago (perhaps years) I seem to recall some discussion that one or more of those was better maintained and higher quality than the others. I don't see any indications of this in the handbook. Several years ago I needed to do traffic shaping and used IPFW with dummynet. It worked but the need eventually went away. More recently I needed to incorporate spamd which defaults to PF so I used that. However, now I am back to needing traffic shaping again. I suspect trying to use both PF and IPFW simultaneously will not be a good approach. In addition, there now are instructions for using spamd with IPFW so it appears that either PF or IPFW will do what I need. Is there any additional information available to assist in selecting between those? Thanks.