----- Original Message -----
From: "Vallo Kallaste" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 12:59 PM
Subject: Suggestions for new machine please

> Hi
>
> It was early of the year 2000 when I got very good suggestions from
> here to buy BX based motherboard, if any. I'm glad I did so... I
> have been using my old trusty BX-based system without any problems,
> but it's time for faster ride. As I'll want to help with SMP which
> seems to be slowly gaining weight, am considering dual-processor
> system. Current dual-Xeon systems are too expensive, PIII is old
> (good and cool) technology, but 1,4Ghz Tualatin price is about the
> same as 2Ghz Athlon XP.. which brings me to the dual-Athlon
> solution. What do you guys think about Asus A7M266-D and two Athlon
> XP 2400+ processors? The information circulating around 'Net claims
> that XP and MP are the same processors and with slight modification
> XP's will work just fine as MP's. Actually I've seen dual-XP's on
> this particular mobo, but these were 1,7Ghz with Palomino core. What
> about memory bandwidth, it's using older memory as I see. Any hidden
> traps, besides cooling of course?
> Or am I on the wrong track and catching up the long gone train..
>
> Thanks
> --
>
> Vallo Kallaste
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

A good choice except for the XP's, use the MP as that requires no
modification to the CPU to get it to work in SMP mode. The XP requires a
minor mod (Joining contacts on the CPU, like the multiplier unlock hack).
The other trap is make sure you have a high-end PSU. The A7M266-D has hefty
PSU requirements, so I'd go for a PC Power Supply & Cooling unit with at
least 450 Watts (The Mobo requires 400 Watts).

Adam