Tim Daneliuk wrote:
Kris Kennaway wrote:
Tim Daneliuk wrote:
Kris Kennaway wrote:
Tim Daneliuk wrote:
Kris Kennaway wrote:
Tim Daneliuk wrote:
Is there anything special one has to do when doing a make world
intended for 64-bit FreeBSD or is it sufficient to build the 64-bit
kernel and make world as everywhere else?
The same as everywhere else.

Kris
So, I take it that this means that all the userspace programs, ports,
packages, utilities, etc. do *not* take advantage of the 64-bit
extensions.  That is, only the kernel gets the benefit of the
wider word.  Is that correct?

No, everything is 100% native.

Kris

OK, these may be really stupid questions but:

1) How does make world know whether to build 32-bit or 64-bit binaries?
It always uses the native format.  amd64 == 64 bit, i386 == 32 bit
Don't mean to beat this to death, but can you say just a bit more
about this please.  If I am running an i386 kernel on 64-bit capable
processor, I assume I will get 32-bit binaries or not?  IOW, what
triggers makeworld to do something in 32- vs. 64-bit mode?  The
*kernel* currently executing or the underlying hardware capability?

Let me be even more specific:  If I install 32-bin x86 FreeBSD on, say,
a Pentium D machine that is 64-bit capable, when I makeworld, will this
result in 32- or 64-bit binaries?  Ditto if I do makekernel.

32