Akenner wrote:
Hi,

I've continued reading to keep myself updated with info used, and I have a few questions about what I've seen about freebsd-update:

I've read not to use FreeBSD-update AND cvsup together, and so I've decided to go along with this as to not cause problems for myself.

Does FreeBSD-update have any benefit over the cvsup method? I've heard you don't have to go single user and a few other things, but does it have any actual benefit?

Thanks,

-Allen

You don't have to recompile anything (can be lengthy esp. on older machines), the mergemaster step is usually a lot simpler and less tedious. Very useful for people tracking RELEASE and the security branch. You still need csup / cvsup to track STABLE or CURRENT though.