On Aug 7, 2009, at 6:42 AM, Olivier Nicole wrote:

reading around the FAQ for FreeBSD mailing list, I see that the
mailing list server does some message cleaning (converting HTML to
text, etc).

I don't want just any solution, that works more or less, but the very
well tested solution used by FreeBSD mailing lists.

On the mailing list this is done by the mailing list system, mailman, which is in ports/mail/mailman.

But the cleaning stuff is just part of a much larger system (mailing list management), so I don't think you can get it to do what you want.

There is a milter,

 ports/mail/mime-defang

which, while it can do many other things (that you don't need to enable, also does this. I haven't used it in more than 5 years, so I can't speak for how well it works. But I did set it up for an organization that had lots of Outhouse users on desktops that were vulnerable to malicious HTML.

mimedefang is also useful for blocking certain types of attachments as well.

There may be better, special purpose tools that do what you want. You could also look at the mailman source (python) to see how it does its cleaning.

-j