Ok, so let me get this straight. Here is what Ive deduced using the handbook:

Step 1: run pkg_version -v

will just stick with samba for now:

[...@hbca ~]$ pkg_version -v | grep -i samba
samba-3.0.37_1,1                    =   up-to-date with index
samba34-libsmbclient-3.4.8          <   needs updating (port has 3.4.9)

pkg_version -v is telling me samba is up-to-date with index
samba34-libsmbclient-3.4.8 needs updating..

ok. step 2, check /usr/ports/UPDATING

hbca# grep samba-3.0.37 /usr/ports/UPDATING
hbca# grep -i  samba-3.0.37 /usr/ports/UPDATING
hbca# grep -i samba34-lib /usr/ports/UPDATING
hbca# grep -i samba34 /usr/ports/UPDATING
  AFFECTS: users of net/samba34
hbca#
[...@hbca ~]$ grep 3.0.37 /usr/ports/UPDATING
[...@hbca ~]$

20100205:
  AFFECTS: users of net/samba34
  AUTHOR: ti...@freebsd.org

  This port was developed with the generous help of Florent Brodin.

  The default passdb backend has been changed to `tdbsam'! That breaks
  existing setups using the `smbpasswd' backend without explicit
  declaration! Please use `passdb backend = smbpasswd' if you would like
  to stick to the `smbpasswd' backend or convert your smbpasswd entries
  using e.g. `pdbedit -i smbpasswd -e tdbsam'.

  The `tdbsam' backend is much more flexible concerning per user
  settings like `profile path' or `home directory' and there are some
  commands which do not work with the `smbpasswd' backend at all.

I see an issue with samba34 but not samba34-libsmbclient-3.4.8 specifically.

so Step 3:

pkgdb -F

hbca# pkgdb -F
--->  Checking the package registry database
Stale origin: 'net/samba3': perhaps moved or obsoleted.
-> The port 'net/samba3' was removed on 2010-10-18 because:
"Has expired: Unsupported by the upstream. Please, consider to upgrade."
-> Hint: samba-3.0.37_1,1 is not required by any other package
-> Hint: checking for overwritten files...
-> No files installed by samba-3.0.37_1,1 have been overwritten by other packages.
Deinstall samba-3.0.37_1,1 ? [no] no
Duplicated origin: security/libgcrypt - libgcrypt-1.4.5_1 libgcrypt-1.4.6
Unregister any of them? [no] no

pkg_version said samba-3.0.37_1,1 is up to date with the index.
pkgdb doesnt mention anything about samba34-libsmbclient-3.4.8.

Since samba is very to configure, I can simply deinstall samba all together and reinstall.. What exactly is the point of portupgrade then?