On 07/19/11 09:31, Robert Bonomi wrote:
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 00:03:58 -0700
From: ssgriffonuser<ssgriffonu...@gmail.com>
Subject: Sendmail not accepting connections on port 25

Hi all,

I'm having difficulty getting sendmail set up on my server.  I can send
and receive to localhost and I can send to external networks but I can
not receive from external networks (I receive a 550: Address rejected).
What does the sendmail LOG FILE show?

Netstat says sendmail is listening on port 25 but I cannot telnet to it.
Netstat just says "something" has port 25 open on 'any' address -- this may,
or may *not* be the sendmail instance you think is running.  It probably
*IS*, but you need to be sure.

When I do a port scan of the server, nmap does not show anything on port
25 but does show smtp on 587.
May I recommend 'lsof'?

The command-line  "lsof -n -P |grep IPv"  will show exactly what processes
have have what ports, on what addresses, open.

As far as configuration goes, I added my hostname to
/etc/mail/local-host-names and created a /etc/host/virtusertable that
looks like:

ad...@host.com    shane
sh...@host.com    shane

then I ran 'make all install restart' .
*Unless* you modified the .mc  file, I believe 'virtusertable' should be in
/etc/mail, not /etc/host.

what does 'grep Kvirtuser /etc/mail/sendmail.cf' show?

Lastly, you need to run 'makemap hash virtusertable' in the directory where
the virtusertable file lives.

First of all, thanks everybody for the help and suggestions. Let me just clarify that the problem is: I cannot submit mail to my sendmail server (i.e sending mail from gmail to my server). Answers to the questions that were presented are below.

*sendmail_enable and sendmail_submit_enable are set to YES in my rc.conf.

*ISP is not blocking port 25.

*The sendmail log file doesn't show anything useful which makes me believe that the connections are not getting to sendmail.

*lsof shows that sendmail is listening on port 25.

*The virtusertable file is in /etc/mail and not /etc/host. That was a typo.

*'grep Kvirtuser /etc/mail/sendmail.cf': Kvirtuser hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable

*The correct files (i.e access.db, virtusertable.db, aliases.db and sendmail.cf) are being generated before sendmail is started.

*I noticed the following line in /etc/defaults/rc.conf:
sendmail_submit_flags="-L sm-mta -bd -q30m -ODaemonPortOptions=Addr=localhost" # Flags for localhost-only MTA

That line seems to describe the problem I am having, however when I move that line to /etc/rc.conf and change the address from localhost to gatanova.com I still can't telnet in from an external network. Some relevant files are shown below:

/etc/rc.conf:

hostname="gatanova.com"
ifconfig_re0="DHCP"
apache22_enable="YES"
apache22_http_accept_enable="YES"
mysql_enable="YES"
sendmail_enable="YES"
sendmail_submit_enable="YES"
sendmail_submit_flags="-L sm-mta -bd -q30m -ODaemonPortOptions=Addr=gatanova.com"

/etc/hosts:

::1                     localhost localhost.gatanova.com
127.0.0.1               localhost localhost.gatanova.com
10.12.32.90             rootbsdinternal

/etc/mail/local-host-names:

gatanova.com
gatanova

/etc/mail/virtusertable:

ad...@gatanova.com              shane
sh...@gatanova.com              shane
@gatanova.com                   shane

/etc/mail/access:

#Empty, everything is commented out

Sorry for the long winded email, I wanted to make sure that enough information was available.