On 11/28/2011 19:07, Murray Taylor wrote:

My  /etc/gamin/gaminrc contains this

fsset ufs none
fsset msdosfs none

(zfs and nfs too, if appropriate)

and I still have 16564 files associated with gam_server in fstat out
of 17424 open files reported by sysctl kern.openfiles

It appears that gam_server doesn't play nice with kill -HUP ( there are
6 processes running)
and also doesn't play nice with x-org/KDE as I can often
get a program hang/crash as the kernel bitches about too many open files
Kmail is particularly susceptible to this.

What actually initiates it as there appears to be no related entry
in either /etc/rc.d or /usr/local/etc/rc.d ?

Currently, it is a waste of space to me, and a cause of program
instability!

pkg_info -R gamin\* should lead you to an ICBM coordinates suitable for nuking and ridding yourself of the thing. I had the opposite problem where I have production box on a desktop that wants to keep monitoring (we use nautilus) but gamin_server out of the box chews up a lot of processor time (the fix for this was kernel notification for my ufs and zfs)