On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 23:38:34 +0100, Frederico Costa <fredpo...@mufley.com> wrote:

On 2013-02-27 22:27, Michael Ross wrote:
If I read you right, you didn't ``make -jX buildworld'',
with X being the number of processes to spawn,
so you used just one core on either machine.
 Buildworld does a lot of I/O, so disk speed is relevant.

Yes, i just made "make buildworld".

So i should use make -j2 on the S1(dual core) and -j4 on S2 (2xdualcore)?

And it also makes sense what you say about the I/O.

i will start another to see the results.

Maybe try higher settings.
Handbook ( http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/makeworld.html ) says:

However, since much of the compiling process is I/O bound rather than CPU bound, it is also useful on single CPU machines.

        On a typical single-CPU machine, run:
        # make -j4 buildworld

make(1) will then have up to 4 processes running at any one time. Empirical evidence posted to the mailing lists shows this generally gives the best performance benefit.

On a multi-CPU machine using an SMP configured kernel, try values between 6 and 10 and see how they speed things up.

Thanks

fred

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 23:05:44 +0100, Frederico Costa