On Wed, 22 May 2013 15:52:45 +0200, Alejandro Imass <aim...@yabarana.com> wrote:

Hi,

We've been having this problem with a customer for a while and it
seems that some funky query makes MySQL use 100% of CPU. Nevertheless,
even though you can see in top that it's only 1 CPU in 100% (out of 8)
the server eventually becomes useless and stops responding completely.

So my question is, how does a user process hang the whole server? What
system resources could MySQL be draining to make the server stop
responding completely?

In laymans terms - can't do better - MySQL racing itself to obtain a ( table | memory | file ) lock?

I know I can death-stall the MySQL server at a customer's site if I give it a big enough query ( like, DROPping a table, recreating it and pushing backup data inside ) while cron's hourly backup-dump is running on the database. Just the MySQL server, the machine itself hasn't stalled yet - but I'm sitting at the console while doing this, so I don't know what would eventually happen if I'd let it sit for a while.

Regards,

Michael