I'm running FreeBSD 4.9_RELEASE and I'd like to share my server's root partition as the root partition for some diskless PXE clients, but I need different kernels for the server and clients. The /conf structure works great for providing different /etc environments for each machine, but I can't figure out how to boot a different kernel for my PXE clients.

The only way I can think of is to have a custom /boot/loader.4th that tests the environment (e.g boot.netif.hwaddr or loaddev) and reloads a different kernel depending on the result. I've gone down this path a bit, but I think I've only learned enough Forth to be dangerous and I'm in over my head. Something like:

\ need to figure out where to put this snippet...
s" boot.netif.hwaddr" environment? [if] s" 00:00:24:c1:2a:64:" compare 0= [if]
\ set kernel="/kernel.NET4501"
: kernel s" /kernel.NET4501" ;
[then]

Is there an easier way to do this? Am I missing something totally obvious like a
loader.conf.<MAC-address>?

Thanks,
        -- Chris