adp wrote:
We can live with the chance that a file write might fail as long as we can
switch over to another NFS server if the primary fails.

Sorry, NFS simply won't work with the model of operation you've described.

There is no way to do fallback to a secondary NFS server if the primary goes down when using read/write shares, nor does there exist any way to push the changes made to a secondary fileserver back to the primary, even if you could convince the clients to fail-over in the first place.

Maybe Samba/CIFS would come closer to what you want, or else WebDAV over HTTP?

--
-Chuck