Jan Grant wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Edd wrote:

My question is:

Does such a utility exist? I know nmap can guess os, but it takes a few
seconds and a port scan is needed first. Is there just a simply util
that can tell me without the port scan?

How would that operate? Some kind of network fingerprinting is required.
If you can narrow down the parameters of your question (eg: I have a
network of windows machines and I'd like to figure out exact versions on
each one) then you might have more luck.

Hi Jan,Edd

Perhaps you mean something like:
p0f-2.0.3|/usr/ports/net-mgmt/p0f|/usr/local|Passive OS fingerprinting tool|/usr/ports/net-mgmt/p0f/pkg-descr|[EMAIL PROTECTED]|net-mgmt|||http://www.stearns.org/p0f/

Which was written by William Stearns (if you read this bill, HI!), and now maintained by Michal Zalewski (lcamtuf).

Try it ;-)

--
Kind regards,

Remko Lodder                   |[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Reporter DSINet                |[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Projectleader Mostly-Harmless  |[EMAIL PROTECTED]