Matt Staroscik wrote:

I have a RAID mirror (2x 160GB) which I would like to back up onto a spare 160GB drive.

I do not have a hot-swap caddy so I was planning on powering down the system to get the backup drive in and out.

But once I have the new blank drive in, what is the best way to duplicate the RAID? Ideally I would like to create a disk that could boot the system (and rebuild the RAID) in case disaster strikes.

Can dd do this?

I am new to Unix disk operations... Many thanks in advance for the help.

I think that dd if=/dev/<raiddisk> of=/dev/<newdisk> would work in duplicating the entire raid disk. I don't know if there are better ways, so if someone knows them, we would like to know ;)

Cheers!

--
Kind regards,

Remko Lodder                   |[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Reporter DSINet                |[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Projectleader Mostly-Harmless  |[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Founder Tienervaders           |[EMAIL PROTECTED]