Brian wrote:
Hi,

I'm running a FreeBSD 5.2.1 test box at home for Apache,PHP,MySQL.

I wanted to move the default mysql dabatse location from /var/db/mysql to
/usr/mysql

What I did was cp -Rp /var/db/mysql  /usr

I know now it was wrong for the most part I know how stupid this idea was.

I now can't ssh to the box I get the error below

Could not chdir to home directory /home/reports: Permission denied
/usr/local/bin/bash: Permission denied

/home lives in /usr/home so it is able that you overwrote permissions for that, strangely enough you aren't even allowed to access bash, so it seems to me that more happened then just a recursive copy of /var/db/mysql to /usr...

you should chown them back to the original user (if you can still login as root preferable at the console, ls -lart and check the permissions on the directories...) and next time consider something like: cp -pr /var/db/mysql /usr (so that the entire directory gets copied instead of recursive access all dirs and copy them with file information preservation (permissions,timestamp etc) into /usr

If you are not able to do that, then it seems that it really got
messed up, what you can do then is use a freesbie cd (live cd) to boot the system, access the data on it and backup the data. Then a reinstall would cause everything to return to normal.

This is how i would do it, any better suggestions are of course welcome! :-)

Cheers!

What I'm looking to know is, what exactly have I done to /usr and if I'm at the console can I easiliy reverse what I did ?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

-- Kind regards,

Remko Lodder                   |[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Reporter DSINet                |[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Projectleader Mostly-Harmless  |[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Founder Tienervaders           |[EMAIL PROTECTED]