On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 11:44:27AM -0800, John Baldwin wrote:
> If we import 3.0.0 into, say, 13.2, then when 13.0/13.1 are EOLd we are
> no longer having to maintain 1.1.1 in 13.  If people want to keep older
> applications built on unsupported releases still working without
> recompiling, etc. they will have to manage that themselves.  Currently
> we don't support 12.0 on the 12.x branch for example.
What do you mean by 'not supported'?  Don't we put large efforts into
keeping ABI backward compatible to allow to run _any_ binary built early ?
The only exception I can think of is that we allow ABI mistakes on HEAD
to be fixed in non-backward compatible way.

But for 12.0-built binaries, we offer full support.  In fact it is the easiest
case, if comparing e.g. with binaries built against older branches.

It is possible to bump dso version on stable branch, which I believe was
already done several times.  In this case, we provided compatXx-<arch>
for stable/X branch, which contiained shared objects with previous versions.