I have a proof of concept system doing this. I started with a 7.2 install on zfs root, compiled world and kernel from 8, took a snapshot and made a clone for the 7.2 install, and proceeded to upgrade the current fs to 8.0. After updating the loader.conf in the 7.2 zfs to point to its own cloned fs, I can pick which one to boot with a simple "zpool set bootfs=z/ROOT/7.2" or "zpool set bootfs=z/ROOT/8.0" before rebooting. I also tried rsyncing from a FFS based system into a new ZFS in that same zpool, used DESTDIR with installkernel and installworld to update the imported OS to support zfs, setup its boot loader and misc config files, and was able to boot from it using zpool to set it as the bootfs. Somewhat like shifting around OS images in a virtualization environment except its easy to reach inside the "image" to upgrade/modify it, copy them between systems, and no execution overhead while running one since its still on bare metal (but only one running OS per server of course). This makes it very easy to swap an OS onto another server if you need better/lesser hardware or just want to test.

Dan Naumov wrote:
This reminds me. I was reading the release and upgrade notes of OpenSolaris
2009.6 and noted one thing about upgrading from a previous version to the
new one::

When you pick the "upgrade OS" option in the OpenSolaris installer, it will
check if you are using a ZFS root partition and if you do, it intelligently
suggests to take a current snapshot of the root filesystem. After you finish
the upgrade and do a reboot, the boot menu offers you the option of booting
the new upgraded version of the OS or alternatively _booting from the
snapshot taken by the upgrade installation procedure_.

Reading that made me pause for a second and made me go "WOW", this is how
UNIX system upgrades should be done. Any hope of us lowly users ever seeing
something like this implemented in FreeBSD? :)

- Dan Naumov