Finally, while doing some comparisons, I realized that the motherboard
having the problem was _not_ the same as the others; it was similar, but
not identical.

This is a good piece of info. I can try swapping out the MB and see what happens.

I do want to add: thank you Jack for all your help and if does turn out to be the MB, then double thanks. Viva Monday! :)

What would be nice would be MORE info for a watchdog timeout... maybe a sysctl dev.watchdog.debug=1 or something where when a watchdog event happened --- for whatever driver --- a bunch of stats were dumped relating to the event.

Rudy