Am 15.12.2009 um 21:24 schrieb Jeremy Chadwick:

[1]: It's hardly done and needs a *lot* of work, but I'll eventually
get it into a state where it could be committed and people could hack on it/improve it. It's no where near as defined as smartmontools (re: disk
vendor/model one-offs for attribute parsing and so on), but I figured
FreeBSD users might want something out-of-the-box which might give them
stats which are most commonly focused on (sector reallocation, drive
temperature, high spin-up times, CRC errors, etc.).  I guess you could
say I'm a bit proud of myself given that I was able to figure out how to
accomplish it by looking at some smartmontools source (messy, let me
tell you...) and ata(4) bits (since the ioctls aren't documented).

[2]: Yes, I'm still working on writing that doc that explains how to
read SMART data.  Going to have to end up doing it for work as well...
oh the joys.  :-)

Yes please, I'd like to see basic SMART diagnostics out of the box in the base system! I've looked at doing something similar on and off for a long time, but never really got beyond the basic ioctl proof of concept stage.

Since it appears ata and atacontrol might be replaced by CAM, and SCSI devices can also support SMART, would it be possible to add this to camcontrol or a similar utility?

Thanks,
Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke <s...@lassitu.de>   Fon +49 151 14070811