On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 03:53:20 +0900 Tommi Lätti <s...@iki.fi> wrote about
Re: immense delayed write to file system (ZFS and UFS2), performance
issues:

TL> Well AFAIK WD certifies that there's no extra risk involved unless you
TL> go over 300.000 park cycles. On the other hand, my 9 month 1.5tb green
TL> drive has over 200.000 cycles.

I think the RE2 drives I have here are certified for 600k cycles.

TL> Maybe check if you can disable the idle timer using WDIDLE3... works
TL> for my drives (although it did some strange things to one out of the 6
TL> drives --> decreased reported sector count and the zfs invalidated the
TL> pool :/ ).

I can only encourage everyone having this problem to report to WD's
support about this. Today I received an update for the firmware of
RE4-drives (which I did not try out yet). IMHO, the more people complain
about these issues, the higher is the chance that WD will do something
about it.

cu
  Gerrit