On 02.08.11 12:46, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
I am pretty sure UFS does not have this problem. i.e. once you delete/move the files out of the directory its performance would be good again.

UFS would be the classic example of poor performance if you do this.

If it is a limitation in ZFS it would be nice to know that, perhaps it truly, really is a bug that can be avoided (or it's inherent in the way ZFS handles such things)

It is possible that there is not enough memory in ARC to cache that large directory.

Other than that, perhaps in ZFS it would be easier to prune the unused directory entries, than it is in UFS. It looks like this is not implemented.

Another reason might be some FreeBSD specific implementation issue for fstatfs.

In any case, the data available is not sufficient. More information would help, like how much RAM this system has, how much ARC uses, some ARC stats.

What made me wonder is .. how exactly the kernel and zpool disagree on zpool version? What is the pool version in fact?

Daniel