On 14/09/2016 19:08, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> Well, the following might work, but I have no good idea what to do
> when BIOS does handoff with x2APIC enabled and directs us to not
> enable it.  Switching to xAPIC mode is not an option, I suspect.

The specification describes a way to transition from x2APIC to xAPIC mode, but
it's not trivial, because it requires checking all CPU IDs and disabling CPUs
with too high ones.

Personally, I am not comfortable with your patch.  First, it seems that the
patch does not cover hw.x2apic_enable=0.  And I don't like that we leave x2APIC
mode enabled even when we otherwise would not enable it just because BIOS.

All in all, if we can't go x2APIC -> xAPIC, then I would prefer a meaningful
panic over a "compromise".

Just my opinion.  The topic probably warrants a wider discussion and a proper
review.

Slawa,
thank you for your persistence and testing.

--
Andriy Gapon