On 13/03/2017 21:07, Edward Tomasz Napierała wrote:
> Are you sure the above transcript is right?  There are three reasons
> I'm asking.  First, you'll see the "Root mount waiting" message,
> which means the root mount code is, well, waiting for storvsc, exactly
> as expected.  Second - there is no "Trying to mount root".  But most
> of all - for some reason the "Mounting failed" is shown _before_ the
> "Root mount waiting", and I have no idea how this could ever happen.

Edward, your observation is not completely correct.
https://www.twisted.org.uk/~pete/914893a3-249e-4a91-851c-f467fc185eec.txt

We have:

Trying to mount root from zfs:rpool/ROOT/default []... <===
vmbus0: version 3.0
storvsc0: <Hyper-V IDE Storage Interface> on vmbus0
Solaris: NOTICE: Cannot find the pool label for 'rpool'
Mounting from zfs:rpool/ROOT/default failed with error 5. <===
Root mount waiting for: storvsc <===

So, the kernel attempted to mount the root even before vmbus was attached and,
thus, before storvsc appeared and informed the kernel that it might be holding
the root.
How ZFS was supposed to know that vmbus is ever going to appear?
To me this sounds more like a problem with the Hyper-V drivers.

--
Andriy Gapon