On 20/9/17 11:33AM, Warner Losh wrote:
> FreeBSD has always had a policy of backwards compatibility. By that
> definition we are stable. What we don't promise is full forwards
> compatibility, which is what you are asking for.

Correct. Within the stable branch I'd always assumed forward compatibility was
the case and haven't been bitten by this since my days of FreeBSD 3.0.

But even if this is no longer the case (or was never a goal), I'm still
confused by versioning packages like this: http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/ which
is clearly not correct. There is just no way for me to discover which package
is compatible with which OS version.

Anyhow, thanks for listening. This is putting a dent in my adoption of the
accelerated EOL of minor releases. At the very least I need to remember to keep
poudriere on the x.0 release even after it is EOL, until every one of my
servers has been upgraded (which is rarely before the new accelerated EOL for
machines that don't face the internet).

Ari