Hi folks,

I’ve been looking at mailing list archives, talking to my server vendor,
looking at the official forums and I’m not finding lots of folks talking about
NVMe drives. My forum query on hot-swap got a total of one response (and not
from a NVMe user).

I’m looking at new servers and we really tend to use them until they drop, and
it seems not too crazy to think that SATA and SAS SSDs will start growing
scarce in 5-8 years (or at least get more expensive than NVMe when it’s
mainstream). It seems like laptops and even many desktops are now using NVMe
drives in the m.2 format.  IOW, it’s the future.

So can anyone comment on using NVMe in production, specifically the “u.2”
format that gives you a nice 2.5” drive with hot swap capability? And more
specifically, can you comment on how well (if at all) hot swap works?  Really
open to any feedback before I commit to buying a few servers based on NVMe
drives.

Thanks,

Charles