On 2021-04-14 19:28, Andy Farkas wrote:
I think this is an excellent start. My shopping list includes:

- remove ftp(1)
- remove ftpd(8)
- remove telnet(1)
- remove telnetd(8)
- remove ftp:// and http:// from libfetch. This is 2021 and we should all
use https://.
- replace DNS lookups with DoH and/or DoT. Why let your ISP see your DNS
traffic?

I wonder how many people use YP/NIS (man 8 yp)?
It's a nifty concept; I played around with it last century...
I believe there is still an open PR in bugzilla I created (can't find it
right now, used a diffent email address back then, although same
username).
LOL I did the same a year or so ago. I felt much the same as you describe.
But I've since discovered it can be leveraged in ways that it did not
originally intend to do. So I've since decided that given in whole
it's small footprint, along with a proven track record. It has value
enough that it ought to remain.

Removing it from base (if it should be done at all) looks very complicated
and therefore creating a port equally so.

I know this topic (removing ftpd) is closed, so perhaps this should be
a new one (removing YP/NIS)?  ie. no development on yp has been
done for over a decade.

My view: remove neither
I concur. :-)

-andyf