Godwin Stewart wrote:

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 10:26:27 +0000, Dick Davies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

That won't happen, since /usr isn't mounted in single user mode.

Even if it were, there are always "Live BSD" CDROMs which should allow you
to boot and then fsck your disk partitions.

Thanks for your replies, but apparently I didn't make my point clearly. Let me try again:

If the system ends with a bad filesystem, the background check may leave the
system unusable after bootup. For a FreeBSD guru this is indeed easy to fix
(single user mode, rescue floppies, live CDs bootup etc.).

However, the main user of this particular PC is not at all a guru; on 4.10
I had rc.conf configured such that at bootup all filesystems would be
automatically fixed with: fsck_y_enable="YES".
With 4.10, this always worked nicely, whatever sudden power cut have happened.

However, with 5.3, a recent powercut crippled  the /usr filesystem such that
X11 hanged. The user of this PC was convinced that FreeBSD was infected by a
virus :(.

An automatic fsck could have fixed the system (I eventually did it manually in
single user mode), but the background check left the system broken.....

So I want to configure 5.3 similar to former 4.10: a full automatic fix of all
filesystems at bootup, in case the system was not properly shutdown.
How can I do that?

Thanks,
Rob.