look in /usr/src/UPDATING

***
20040710:
       A revamp of the debugging code in the kernel with some visible
       changes beyond just the debugging experience:
       o  The DDB option is now specific to the DDB debugger backend
          and should not be used any more for conditional compilation
          of debugging code for when debugging is enabled. Use the KDB
          option for this.
       o  The WITNESS_DDB, DDB_TRACE and DDB_UNATTENDED options have
          been renamed to WITNESS_KDB, KDB_TRACE and KDB_UNATTENDED
          respectively. This is in line with the first bullet.
       o  The remote GDB support has been untangled from DDB and needs
          to be enabled separately now. Use the GDB option for this.
       o  The GDB_REMOTE_CHAT option has been removed. Support for this
          homegrown feature is discontinued. The GDB remote protocol
          supports console output and it makes sense to use that.
       o  The DDB_NOKLDSYM option has been removed. The DDB debugger
          now supports both direct symbol table lookups as well as KLD
          symbol lookups through the linker.
***

Best Regards fofo

I cvssed just an hour ago. 5.3-STABLE and cannot build
kernel with WITNES. It complains:

cc -c -O -pipe -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -W
missing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual -fformat-extensions -st
d=c99 -nostdinc -I- -I. -I/usr/src/sys -I/usr/src/sys/contrib/dev/acpica -I/us
r/src/sys/contrib/altq -I/usr/src/sys/contrib/ipfilter -I/usr/src/sys/contrib/pf
-I/usr/src/sys/contrib/dev/ath -I/usr/src/sys/contrib/dev/ath/freebsd -I/usr/sr
c/sys/contrib/ngatm -D_KERNEL -include opt_global.h -fno-common -finline-limit=8
000 --param inline-unit-growth=100 --param large-function-growth=1000 -mno-alig
n-long-strings -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -ffreestanding -Werror /usr/src/sys
/kern/subr_witness.c
/usr/src/sys/kern/subr_witness.c:1737: warning: 'witness_proc_has_locks' defined
but not used
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/OMNI2.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.

THE KERNEL CONFIG FILE :

machine i386 cpu I486_CPU cpu I586_CPU cpu I686_CPU ident OMNI2

options  SMP

options  QUOTA

options SCHED_4BSD # 4BSD scheduler
options INET # InterNETworking
options INET6 # IPv6 communications protocols
options FFS # Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options SOFTUPDATES # Enable FFS soft updates support
options UFS_ACL # Support for access control lists
options UFS_DIRHASH # Improve performance on big directories
#options MD_ROOT # MD is a potential root device
#options NFSCLIENT # Network Filesystem Client
#options NFSSERVER # Network Filesystem Server
#options NFS_ROOT # NFS usable as /, requires NFSCLIENT
options MSDOSFS # MSDOS Filesystem
options CD9660 # ISO 9660 Filesystem
options PROCFS # Process filesystem (requires PSEUDOFS)
options PSEUDOFS # Pseudo-filesystem framework
options GEOM_GPT # GUID Partition Tables.
options COMPAT_43 # Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options COMPAT_FREEBSD4 # Compatible with FreeBSD4
#options SCSI_DELAY=15000 # Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI
options KTRACE # ktrace(1) support
options SYSVSHM # SYSV-style shared memory
options SYSVMSG # SYSV-style message queues
options SYSVSEM # SYSV-style semaphores
#options _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING # POSIX P1003_1B real-time extensions
#options KBD_INSTALL_CDEV # install a CDEV entry in /dev
#options ADAPTIVE_GIANT # Giant mutex is adaptive.

device  apic  # I/O APIC

# Bus support.  Do not remove isa, even if you have no isa slots
device  isa
device  pci

# Floppy drives
device  fdc

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device  ata
device  atadisk  # ATA disk drives
device  ataraid  # ATA RAID drives
device  atapicd  # ATAPI CDROM drives
#device  atapifd  # ATAPI floppy drives
#device  atapist  # ATAPI tape drives
options  ATA_STATIC_ID # Static device numbering

# SCSI peripherals
device  scbus  # SCSI bus (required for SCSI)
device  da  # Direct Access (disks)
device  pass  # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)
device  twe  # 3ware ATA RAID

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
device  atkbdc  # AT keyboard controller
device  atkbd  # AT keyboard
device  psm  # PS/2 mouse

device  vga  # VGA video card driver

device  splash  # Splash screen and screen saver support

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device  sc

device  agp  # support several AGP chipsets

# Floating point support - do not disable.
device  npx

# Power management support (see NOTES for more options)
#device  apm
# Add suspend/resume support for the i8254.
#device  pmtimer

# Serial (COM) ports
device  sio  # 8250, 16[45]50 based serial ports

# Parallel port
device  ppc
device  ppbus  # Parallel port bus (required)
device  lpt  # Printer
device  ppi  # Parallel port interface device
#device  vpo  # Requires scbus and da

device miibus # MII bus support device fxp # Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B (82557, 82558) device em

device loop # Network loopback device mem # Memory and kernel memory devices device io # I/O device device random # Entropy device device ether # Ethernet support #device sl # Kernel SLIP #device ppp # Kernel PPP device tun # Packet tunnel. device pty # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc) device md # Memory "disks" #device gif # IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling #device faith # IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying (translation)

device  bpf  # Berkeley packet filter

# USB support
device  uhci  # UHCI PCI->USB interface
device  ohci  # OHCI PCI->USB interface
device  usb  # USB Bus (required)
#device  udbp  # USB Double Bulk Pipe devices
device  ugen  # Generic
device  uhid  # "Human Interface Devices"
device  ulpt  # Printer
device  umass  # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da

# FireWire support device firewire # FireWire bus code #device sbp # SCSI over FireWire (Requires scbus and da) #device fwe # Ethernet over FireWire (non-standard!)

options  IPFIREWALL
options  IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
options  IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=10000
options  IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT

device  snp
device  speaker

#options  DDB
#options  KDB
#options  BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER
options  INVARIANT_SUPPORT
options  INVARIANTS
options  WITNESS
options         WITNESS_KDB
options  WITNESS_SKIPSPIN
#options  ADAPTIVE_GIANT  # Giant mutex is adaptive.

Regards, Artem Kuchin IT Legion Ltd. Russia, Moscow www.itlegion.ru [EMAIL PROTECTED] +7 095 232-0338