--- Subhro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 5/11/2005 10:40, Rob wrote:
>
> >--- Subhro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >>1000 IMHO seems a bit too heavy. Try something
> >>lower.
> >>

> >What is heavy and what is not?
> >Does 100 sound better?
> >
> >How can I develop a feeling for the 'heaviness' of
> >this HZ number? Is it related to the CPU speed?
> >
> >Thanks for clarifying!
> >
> >Rob.
> >

> Before I answer this question, I would like to
> clarify a few things.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.
I now got a much better idea of what polling actually
means. Great!

> When I have to put up a new FreeBSD box, I start
> from 100 and start beefing up the number until I
> find a good balance.

Hmmm, how do you "find a good balance" ?
Network access speed vs. lost connections.....?

---

I'm now trying a kernel with HZ=100 and will report
the result shortly.

Interestingly: HZ=1000 is apparently a problem with
the xl devices (3Com 3c905B-TX), but not with the
rl devices (RealTek 8139).
What could cause that difference? Could a difference
in buffer size on the LAN card cause this?

Rob.

Yahoo! Mail