At 2005-07-21 19:20:34+0000, "Eli K. Breen" writes:
> All,
>
> Does anyone have a good handle on how to replicate (read: image) a
> freebsd machine from one machine to an ostensibly similar machine?
>
> So far I've used countless variations and combinations of the following:
>
> dd            (Slow, not usefull if the hardware isn't identical?)

I have used dd | gzip -9 on many occasions. I don't find it especially
slow (it will run at full disk bandwidth, typically 50 MB/sec on
current ATA desktop disks, i.e. 3G/minute), and if you want an actual
bit-for-bit identical replication then it's the only way to go.  It's
also very handy for keeping multi-boot slice images around
(e.g. images of Windows partitions in various states, for testing
purposes).  The compressed images often end up nice and small.

The disadvantage you may have is that your slice table and/or
partition table will be wrong if your target machine has a larger
disk.  This is pretty easy to fix after the fact with a script using
disklabel and/or fdisk.

You will get better compression if you dd /dev/zero to your source
machine before the initial installation, so that empty sectors are all
zeroes.  One day I will write a program which zeroes empty blocks of
an unmounted filesystem....

> tar           (Doesn't replicate MBR)
> rsync         (No MBR support)

Replicating the MBR is exceptionally easy with dd: it's the first
sector of the disk.  Note that this first sector also includes the
slice table.  You could easily use dd in combination with tar and
rsync.

> Norton Ghost  (Doesn't support UFS/UFS2?)
> G4U           (little experience with this)

I notice that 'dump' is not in your list.  Why is that?

Nick Barnes
Ravenbrook Limited