On Wed, 2005-Sep-21 10:34:43 +0900, Joel Rees wrote:

>On 平成 17/09/21, at 5:35, Billy Newsom wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know exactly what to do about an interrupt storm,
>
>My understanding is that an interrupt storm is a noisy interrupt
>line. It could be a flaky chip, an incompatible setting for the
>interrupt lines in the BIOS, a loose wire, dust or some sort of
>condensate (very typically tobacco tar) on the PC board, ...

Or a driver bug: Failing to clear the condition causing the interrupt
before sending an end-of-interrupt notification to the device will
cause it to re-assert the interrupt request.  I've also seen it when
a device configured for polling (and hence without an installed
interrupt handler) decides to raise an interrupt and gets upset at
the interrupt not being handled.

--
Peter Jeremy