On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Petr Holub wrote:

I've found the following problem on my IBM T41p when running 6.0-RELEASE:
when both psm and acpi_ibm are compiled in the kernel, the psm0 device
(touchpad) doesn't initialize properly - with verbose logging it says
psm0: unable to allocate IRQ
When acpi_ibm is removed from the kernel, psm0 works OK.

However, combination of both psm and acpi_ibm used to work at least
till 6.0-BETA4, which is what I had previously on this laptop.

I have the same problem with my IBM T40p. If I load acpi_ibm after boot, the module loads fine and the mouse continues to work. It looks like acpi_ibm, if loaded by /boot/loader, takes over irq 12 and prevents psm from attaching.