Pierre-Luc Drouin wrote:

Nate Lawson wrote:

Pierre-Luc Drouin wrote:

Hajimu UMEMOTO wrote:

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 12:40:36 -0500
Pierre-Luc Drouin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

pldrouin> Yep, smart battery is definately the problem. The performance of my pldrouin> laptop is back to normal when I remove the xfce4-battery-plugin. pldrouin> acpiconf -i loop reproduces the problem for me too. So it looks like pldrouin> there is something wrong in smart battery.

The cmbat has similar issue on some laptops.  So, acpi_cmbat.c uses
cache for retrieval to reduce its influence, and its expiration
time is set by hw.acpi.battery.info_expire.
However, acpi_smbat.c doesn't use cache.  So, I made a patch.  Since I
don't have a laptop which has smbat, I cannot test it by myself.
Please test it and let me know the result.
The patch seams to do its job correctly, but it is still very annoying to have the whole computer to freeze for 1 second when the cache expires. What does make the whole system to freeze? Before the code was changed in 6.0-stable, FreeBSD was able to read the battery status without freezing my laptop... I have been running 3 OSes (FreeBSD, Ubuntu and Win XP) on my laptop for a while and never experienced that kind of problem with either Linux or Win XP. I guess there is something wrong in the new code added after 6.0-release.

If you have both smbat and cmbat, just disable smbat if you don't like it. Add this to /boot/loader.conf:

debug.acpi.disabled="smbat"

The pause is related to a buggy or slow EC. Caching the values happens to hide it. Do you get pauses with smbat disabled (see above for how to do this)? Can you still get battery status from cmbat?

Ok, there is new development. I realized by playing with debug.acpi.disabled="smbat", debug.acpi.disabled="smbat cmbat" and debug.acpi.disabled="cmbat", that my laptop battery is not a smbat, but a cmbat. When I played with hw.acpi.battery.info_expire after to have applied the patch for acpi_smbat.c, it was freezing less often because that sysctl variable was shared by both cmbat and smbat. So I can only get battery status from cmbat (disabling cmbat disables the use of acpiconf -i loop). To get the status of my battery via cmbat was working fine up to 6.0-RELEASE (included), but makes my laptop to freeze since I upgraded to 6.0-stable with Nov 10th sources. What change related to cmbat between 6.0-release and 6.0-stable could be causing this?

Has someone found how to fix this problem in -stable?

Thank you