I have a series of machines 6.0 stable (various dates), 6.1 stable (various dates) that freeze if the NFS sever they are connected to becomes unresponsive or crashes. Was able to confirm this behavior for both i386 and AMD64.

A 5.3 machine connected to the same nfs server was able to "umount -f" the volume.

I was able to reproduce the problem in a test environment.
Tried TCP, UDP connections, soft mount and a retry count of 1.

It doesn't seem to matter whether the server is 6.X or 5.X (tested in both), it is the 6.X client that has the problem.

Searching the archives seem to be a known issue.
Is there a patch? Or has it recently being fixed? The dates of my 6.X client machines varies, but are 6.0 stable up to 6.1Stable may 29.