On Fri, 30 Jun 2006, Michael Vince wrote:

The thing that have to ask is if Atanas has 100's why can't he just boot Freebsd have have them all prebound to the interface at startup, why would you need to add and remove them constantly by the hundreds during normal server uptime?

I do restart my jails now and then, but because the IPs are already bound to the interface I don't have any pause issues.

In my case, I move jails around between machines for load balancing reasons ... so, a physical server may be up for, hell, in one case, 211 days, but a vServer may only have been on it a few days ...

The other funny thing about the current em driver is that if you move an IP to it from a different server, the appropriate ARP packets aren't sent out to redirect the IP traffic .. recently, someone pointed me to arping, which has solved my problem *external* to the driver ...

I have a third machine that uses an em driver, but its an older 4.x kernel, and it operates perfectly ... no timeouts/hangs and sends out the appropriate ARP packet ... all three servers are connected to the same Cisco switch, with all ports configured identically, so it isn't a switch issue, as someone else intimated ...

----