Mike Jakubik wrote:
[ ... ]
Why are the limits so low by default? In any case, this is what i found in LINT.

options         MAXDSIZ=(1024UL*1024*1024)
options         MAXSSIZ=(128UL*1024*1024)
options         DFLDSIZ=(1024UL*1024*1024)

I have no idea what those values mean, what should i set them to to be safe? A limit 768MB should work for me.

512MB is more than enough for almost all processes to run just fine, and is only really inappropriate for the case where you've got 1-plus GB of physical RAM and want to dedicate the system to a single large task, or perhaps a single-digit number of processes if you've got several GB of physical RAM.

--
-Chuck

PS: On the other hand, as time passes and 64-bit hardware with 4+ GB of RAM becomes more common, this 512MB limit starts resembling the "640K is more than enough" comment from years past. Core memory used to cost a dollar a bit, rather than a dollar a megabit today, but that was before my time... :-)