Hello!

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006, Yoshihiro Ota wrote:
I think you have to extend your user space memory by adding the
following to /boot/loader.conf.  If 5.4-RELEASE doesn't support
these options, adjust your kernel.

kern.maxdsiz="2048m"
kern.maxssiz="1024m"

  Well, the original poster didn't mention whether he's tried to restore in
single or multiuser mode. This actually makes a big difference. On my RELENG_6
test system (csup-ped and rebuilt as of 24-Oct-2006) I still see that process
resource limits in singleuser mode are _way_ too low. Here is multiuser mode root limits (as set in /etc/login.conf; system-wide limits are even higher as
I have kern.max{d,s,t}siz="1G" in my /boot/loader.conf):

[EMAIL PROTECTED] limits
Resource limits (current):
  cputime          infinity secs
  filesize         infinity kB
  datasize           524288 kB
  stacksize          524288 kB
  coredumpsize     infinity kB
  memoryuse          131072 kB
  memorylocked        65536 kB
  maxprocesses          512
  openfiles             600
  sbsize           infinity bytes
  vmemoryuse       infinity kB

However when I reboot into the singleuser mode (boot -s from the loader prompt), I see the following:

# swapon -a && mount -a && limits -B
Resource limits (current):
  cputime          infinity secs
  filesize         infinity kB
  datasize-max      1048576 kB
  datasize-cur       131072 kB
  stacksize-max     1048576 kB
  stacksize-cur        8192 kB
  coredumpsize     infinity kB
  memoryuse-max    infinity kB
  memoryuse-cur     1016100 kB
  memorylocked-max  1016100 kB
  memorylocked-cur   338700 kB
  maxprocesses         6164
  openfiles           12328
  sbsize           infinity bytes
  vmemoryuse       infinity kB

I fail to see where those super-low datasize-cur and stacksize-cur get set
(the aren't in /.profile nor in /etc/profile nor in ~root/.profile), but
they could prevent using the memory-hungry application (I suppose I can call
restore a memory-hungry).

Hiro

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 10:08:01 +0400