Your only option here as far as I know is to partition the drive to be the new
/usr
partition. To acheive this you would preferrably put the system into single
user mode,
create a partition on the new drive and mount it under /mnt for example.
Then copy all the data between. I prefer to use dump and pipe it into restore
myself
as this preserves all the filesystem flags that would get lost if you would
just do a cp or tar.
Then just update your fstab pointing /usr to the new drive and reboot the
machine.

Baldur