Artem Kuchin wrote:
Mark Kirkwood wrote:

I have seen this with a Tyan PIII board + TX2000. In my case re-trying
the boot from cd several times would *eventually* get a working
installer session. (If you search the archives you'll see several
cases of folks encountering this). Unfortunately I don't know of any
solution.
A (tedious) workaround (in case repeated attempts always fail for
you), is to install a minimal system off an earlier version of
FreeBSD and run the installer off the installed system - or just src
upgrade to the version you want. I found that the 4.x, 5.0, 5.1 and
5.2 cd's all worked fine - but 5.3 onwards and 6.x would register
dump.

There is a better workaround which i used. A simple start of installer from
4 floppies. Then install the whole system from CD-ROM. It does work but
insolved copying of floppy images onto the disks.
However is it a very annoying problem which i have been encountering
since 5.0-RELEASE. The bootloader failed when trying to load installed
from CD-ROM on pretty much every PIII and old Celeron pc which i tried.
(it is about 6 machines by now). Very weird and i have no idea to how
help to solve the problem.

Right, however it means you need a floppy drive - and I've "gone floppiless" for my machines... :-)