Jaime Bozza wrote:

Everyone has their reasons - I liked the RAID 6 feature, plus the OOB
management of Areca, plus my history with 3ware wasn't good. :(

For what it's worth, 3Ware's latest PCI-E cards (9650 series) now support RAID 6. The updated twa driver that supports them hasn't yet been merged into FreeBSD (see kern/106488 which I filed 2 months ago) but you can download either the source or the binary for it from 3Ware that works just fine. The updated 3dm2 for it did make it into the Ports tree.

Driver annoyances aside, my 9650SE is considerably faster than my 9500S (both have batteries, both have the drive's write cache off), especially on writes, and they are both much faster than my Adaptec 2410SA (which has no battery option and thus needed write caching disabled).

Despite not being a fan of the 2410SA, I'm pretty happy with the SCSI version (2120S) which uses the exact same FreeBSD driver. Part of that is the SCSI version has a battery option so write speeds don't suck, where the SATA version doesn't. Or at least that specific model of SATA card doesn't. I'm less of a fan of the older asr-based 2110S... but the one we have still works as long as we keep it in a 32-bit non-PAE box.

I've never tried Areca. I would probably like them, from the sound of things. I'm sticking with 3Ware for SATA systems for now though... but hey, personal preference and all. For my next SCSI/SAS system I may have to do some serious evaluation of what's new out there...

--
Mike Andrews  *  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  *  http://www.bit0.com
It's not news, it's Fark.com.                  Carpe cavy!