On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 11:59:40AM -0600, Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 06:39:35PM +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> > Brooks Davis wrote:
> >  > Oliver Fromme wrote:
> >  > > Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> >  > > > Oliver Fromme wrote:
> >  > > > FWIW, I still use alias/-alias.  Mainly because that's what has
> >  > > > existed historically, and the term "alias" is what is used in
> >  > > > reference to rc.conf ifconfig_iface_aliasX entries.
> >  > >
> >  > > Maybe it would make sense to remove "alias" from the rc.conf
> >  > > entries and simply number them.
> >  >
> >  > ipv4_addrs_<interface> is a much better replacement IMO.  It's easy to
> >  > use and doesn't required the hackish pseudo array traversal used by
> >  > ifconfig_iface_aliasX.
> >
> > That might work for simple cases, but how do you specify
> > other parameters beside the IPs if you need to?
>
> What do you need to set?  It's sets IP and netmask.  It doesn't handle
> broadcast, but I'd be pretty suprised if that's needed often.  What else
> is needed?  Axing ifconfig_iface_aliasX is not needed, but reducing the
> visiability of the interface in the documentation is probably in order
> particularly since it's quite fragile since you have to renumber whenever
> you remove an entry.

Some stuff cannot be done on a single line, so I have abused the _aliasX
mechanism for that. With the bridge interface:

ifconfig_bridge0="ether 00:00:24:c0:0e:40 addm sis0 stp sis0 addm sis1 stp sis1
up"
ifconfig_bridge0_alias0="inet 146.64.84.1/24"

Also with the atheros driver I had problems in the past with some parameters
that did not like to be on a single commandline.

FWIW I do not find the "ifconfig iface -alias" to be a problem... probably
because I'm used to it. :-) What I do find silly is that you cannot do
"ifconfig iface tunnel inet6 <inet6_addr> <inet6_addr>" anymore. It used
to work and is still documented in ifconfig(8) to work. You have to swap
inet6 and tunnel for it to work.

John
--
John Hay -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED]