On Mar 13, 2007, at 3:46 PM, Kevin Kinsey wrote:
The ktrace is on "ntpd -C /etc/ntp.conf -l $HOME/ntp.log" --- I'd seen nothing at all in /var/log/messages (was running tail on it while restarting it several times), so I pointed it there. The full ktrace is rather long, any point to posting it? It did complain about some missing files, but seemed to accept others and go on. Here's most of the complaints in snippage form....

 <snip>
 12195 ktrace   NAMI  "/sbin/ntpd"
 12195 ktrace   RET   execve -1 errno 2 No such file or directory
 12195 ktrace   CALL  execve(0xbfbfe710,0xbfbfec5c,0xbfbfec74)
 12195 ktrace   NAMI  "/bin/ntpd"
 12195 ktrace   RET   execve -1 errno 2 No such file or directory
 <snip>
 12195 ntpd     CALL  open(0x280a2c48,0,0x1b6)
 12195 ntpd     NAMI  "/etc/libmap.conf"
 12195 ntpd     RET   open -1 errno 2 No such file or directory
 <snip>
 12195 ntpd     NAMI  "/etc/malloc.conf"
 12195 ntpd     RET   readlink -1 errno 2 No such file or directory

 These don't seem to be related, but IANAE ;-)

It seems to be having problems locating the ntpd binary to fork/exec it as a child? Is it possible the path in the /etc/rc.d/ntpd script isn't sane? ntpd should be in /usr/sbin/ntpd....

Grepping "ntp" in /etc/syslog.conf returns nada, so that would explain why there's nothing there. I did get "status 2040" in $HOME/ntp.log, so I'm guessing bad driftfile was the issue?

Showing your ntp.conf file would also help, but if you'd like to see an example of a working stratum-2 conf file which has been in use for quite some time:

Nice, ty.  Mine's simple:

$ cat /etc/ntp.conf
server time.nist.gov
server navobs1.wustl.edu
driftfile /var/ntpd.drift

I've got it running fine now in FG (-n) option, and the slaves are happy ATM. I guess I could give it a "&" ;-)

It did complain that sanity limit was exceeded after I started it with -n, which would explain this, maybe?

You might try checking "ntpq -p" and seeing whether your offset is too large. In that case, killing ntpd, running "ntpdate -b time.nist.gov", and then restarting ntpd might help.

However, it was exiting prior to any mention of this previously, and I was *quite certain* that this box did the DST thing just fine, aside from sendmail logging behind as discussed in a thread on questions.

ntpd operates against GMT/UTC, and doesn't care about DST issues at all, fortunately. :-)

Either way, thanks for the reply!

You're welcome...

--
-Chuck