Steven Hartland wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "John-Mark Gurney"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> Is the file incorrect when extracted?  or is this a mater of gtar
>> throwing
>> an error because of the tar format, and an option to bsdtar could be
>> provided
>> to change the output tar format?
>
> The file is correct when extracted but gtar is, as you say, throwing
> an error because of the tar format. The exit error is the issue as in
> a scripted environment, as we have, the error causes the failure of the
> whole operation.

GNU tar is broken.  POSIX specifically allows for vendor extensions (such
as the SCHILY.* extensions which were introduced by star), and the correct
way to handle them is by printing a warning message, ignoring the extension,
and not treating it as an error.

You can work around gtar's breakage by explicitly telling it to ignore these
options via --pax-option="delete=SCHILY.*" .

Colin Percival