On Tuesday 17 July 2007 09:20:16 Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> Yes - and this:
>
> zone "." {
>         type slave;
>         file "slave/root.slave";
>         masters {
>                 192.5.5.241;    // F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
>                 192.228.79.201; // B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
>                 192.33.4.12;    // C.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
>                 192.112.36.4;   // G.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
>                 193.0.14.129;   // K.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
>         };
>         notify no;
> };
>
> prevents me from resolving hostnames in "my.domain". What I'm still
> wondering though, is this an oversight or by design? I can't imagine setups
> like mine are very rare. Doug?

This is natural, unless you specifically enter the zones for 192.168.8.*
(forward and reverse) in your client DNS server (as slave or forward zones,
see the bind manual for the latter, which I'd recommend in your case).

The explanation is simple: how is (your local) bind supposed to know which
server to query for those domains, as the (public internet) root name servers
won't reply for them (zones always take precedence over forwarders, so if you
have a zone for ".", i.e. everything, in your named.conf, your forwarder is
never queried for anything), and it has no other info on
8.168.192.in-addr.arpa than to resursively look it up starting from a root
name server, which won't answer but with a NXDOMAIN response.

If you remove the hints, there's only a forwarder left in your configuration,
which in turn is always queried, and which can also properly resolve your
domains.

Hope this explains stuff.

--
Heiko Wundram