Chuck Swiger wrote:
On Apr 10, 2008, at 1:58 PM, Damian Weber wrote:
But here is the problem, pinging the machine from remote gives

A.B.C.X$ ping A.B.C.D
PING A.B.C.D (A.B.C.D): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from A.B.C.D: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.272 ms
64 bytes from A.B.C.D: icmp_seq=0 ttl=255 time=0.391 ms (DUP!)

Please run "tcpdump -e icmp" on this box and repeat your testing. It will be most interesting to know whether you're seeing the same MAC address....

I'm seeing the same thing on *one* of my RELENG_7 boxes, including the problem going away at 1481 bytes.

In my case, if I run "tcpdump -e icmp" on both the offending RELENG_7 box and on the machine pinging it (tried with both a Mac Mini running Leopard on the same LAN, and a RELENG_7_0 box on the other side of a DSL line), the RELENG_7 box only shows a single reply packet going out, but the pinger shows two -- and both packets have the same (correct) mac address.

It does not happen with all of my RELENG_7 machines though... just one of them... even though all of them have the same motherboard chipset (Intel 3000) and NIC (em0). I haven't figured out exactly when it started or what's different about that one machine. It doesn't seem to hurt anything other than it's somewhat annoying and Nagios complains bitterly about it. :)